Disable Mouse When A Form Is Visible
Jack Skelley
2008-10-01 17:25:24 UTC
Good Afternoon All:
I need to be able to disable the mouse when a form is active and then be able to enable the mouse when the form is released.
I have looked and can't find in info on the topic. I could not locate an API do disable the mouse.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
Regards,

Jack Skelley
Tracy Pearson
2008-10-01 17:29:07 UTC
What are you trying to accomplish? Disabling the mouse sounds like a real
bad idea.

Jack Skelley
Jack Skelley
2008-10-01 17:43:43 UTC
Tracy:
Actually is a very good idea...at least in my way of thinking...
I need to be able to prevent the user from clicking on a set of windows (several are VFP windows) and several are Internet Explorer windows. I don't want to let the user change the window that currently has focus. The VFP app selects the window that is brought to the top then closes that window when it is done. If the window is closed or changed to a window that should not get the focus it 'messes' things up.
You know how users are...when in doubt click the mouse on something...
Regards,

Jack Skelley

[excessive quoting removed by server]
Paul McNett
2008-10-01 18:32:31 UTC
Jack Skelley wrote:
> Actually is a very good idea...at least in my way of thinking...
> I need to be able to prevent the user from clicking on a set of windows (several are VFP windows) and several are Internet Explorer windows. I don't want to let the user change the window that currently has focus. The VFP app selects the window that is brought to the top then closes that window when it is done. If the window is closed or changed to a window that should not get the focus it 'messes' things up.
> You know how users are...when in doubt click the mouse on something...

I'm with Tracy. This is what Modal is for, and users must be trained
anyway. And, you are treating a symptom. They could still Alt+Tab...

My smartass suggestion: display a messagebox:

"Press Okay once you've unplugged the mouse".

:)

Paul
KAM.covad
2008-10-01 18:38:34 UTC
This project was loading normally, a few seconds until a week ago. Now it takes more than 3 minutes. After it does finally load,
everything seems to be fine.

Is there a way to trace through the loading process so I could see where it is hanging?

Any ideas?
Tracy Pearson
2008-10-01 18:40:49 UTC
Is the project in Source control? We noticed a difference between Anti-Virus
providers. Trend Micro opens a project in 7 to 9 seconds. Where Kapersky
took 132 seconds on average. This is a project in Source Safe in the IDE.

Tracy

Any ideas?
KAM.covad
2008-10-01 18:49:09 UTC
We don't use source control on this project. The files are on a Win2003 file server and the XP SP2 workstation is accessing it.
There have been no network or other hardware, OS, etc changes in almost a year. Every other function seems to work fine, such as
copying files across the network, etc.

Tracy Pearson
2008-10-01 18:50:37 UTC
You may have one of the files on a little used mapped drive, or linked via
UNC path.

Any ideas?
Paul McNett
2008-10-01 18:54:28 UTC
KAM.covad wrote:
> We don't use source control on this project.

Whoa.

Paul
MB Software Solutions General Account
2008-10-01 19:17:44 UTC
Paul McNett wrote:
> KAM.covad wrote:
>> We don't use source control on this project.
>
> Whoa.

Ken,

What method do you use as an alternative? Backups nightly?
Michael Madigan
2008-10-01 19:14:49 UTC
1. Damaged project file? Try opening an older project

2. Antivirus issues? Scanning network drive?

3. Any hotfixes from Microsoft lately?

4. Try building another project to see if that fixes it.

Dan Olsson
2008-10-01 19:29:40 UTC
At 2008-10-01 21:14, you wrote:
>1. Damaged project file? Try opening an older project
>2. Antivirus issues? Scanning network drive?
>3. Any hotfixes from Microsoft lately?
>4. Try building another project to see if that fixes it.

Tried rebuilding the project?

Or creating a new one from scratch by just adding the main file and
let the project manager add all others?

******************************
* Dan Olsson
* <mailto:***@dolittle.se>
* <http://www.dolittle.se>
MB Software Solutions General Account
2008-10-01 19:49:42 UTC

...by dragging from the old project to the new project?
Michael Madigan
2008-10-01 19:51:53 UTC
I don't use VFP 9, but I'm guessing just creating a new project and adding the main program to it and then rebuilding.

On Wednesday, November 5th, Vote for Barack Obama

Right Wing Mike
http://www.cafepress.com/rightwingmike

Rick Schummer
2008-10-01 20:23:49 UTC
>>Or creating a new one from scratch by just adding the main file and let the project manager add
all others?<<

This might be a good suggestion to correct the possible corruption. One big pitfall of this approach
(often not considered) include files only called or executed via indirection do not get pulled back
in. Another problem is the state of excluded/included need to be reset for certain files. Plus all
the version information needs to be re-entered.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com
www.swfox.net
www.rickschummer.com
Richard Kaye
2008-10-02 16:39:45 UTC
I wrote a little util to open a project as a DBF and dump it out to a
text file just so that I could make sure the project could be recovered
even if the PJX/PJT went south. A nice side effect is being able to
compare text files to find differences between project files.

--
Richard Kaye
Vice President

For the fastest response time, please send your support
queries to:

Technical Support - ***@rfcsystems.com
Internet Support - ***@rfcsystems.com
All Other Requests - ***@rfcsystems.com

This message has been checked for viruses before sending.
Paul McNett
2008-10-02 17:03:59 UTC
Richard Kaye wrote:
> I wrote a little util to open a project as a DBF and dump it out to a
> text file just so that I could make sure the project could be recovered
> even if the PJX/PJT went south. A nice side effect is being able to
> compare text files to find differences between project files.

scX does this, too. I've gotten so used to my pjx, vcx, frx files
converting back and forth between .sc text versions and the binary
versions that I never considered the nice side effect of having the
binary versions automatically rebuilt for me on a regular basis.

Yes, using 'svn diff' on myproj.pjx.sc is cool.

Paul
MB Software Solutions, LLC
2008-10-02 17:18:23 UTC

Sweet idea! You should consider posting it on the ProFox downloads page!
Paul McNett
2008-10-02 17:22:20 UTC
MB Software Solutions, LLC wrote:
> Richard Kaye wrote:
>> I wrote a little util to open a project as a DBF and dump it out to a
>> text file just so that I could make sure the project could be recovered
>> even if the PJX/PJT went south. A nice side effect is being able to
>> compare text files to find differences between project files.
>

> Sweet idea! You should consider posting it on the ProFox downloads page!

Seeing a project file in plain text really makes one wonder:

"Why the hell didn't they implement this in plain text to begin with?"

Microsoft has a fascination with binary formats that just add complexity
for their user-developers. Simplify!

Paul
MB Software Solutions, LLC
2008-10-02 17:35:58 UTC

I think many in geekdom look to add complexity for no good reason!!!!
KAM.covad
2008-10-02 22:47:26 UTC
You are referring to Vista?

Michael Madigan
2008-10-03 00:20:58 UTC
How about word 2007?

Michael Madigan
2008-10-03 00:22:27 UTC
How about word 2007?

2008-10-02 20:05:07 UTC
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 1:22 PM, Paul McNett <***@ulmcnett.com> wrote:

> "Why the hell didn't they implement this in plain text to begin with?"
>
> Microsoft has a fascination with binary formats that just add complexity
> for their user-developers. Simplify!

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by ignorance." At
the time, the Fox Team (NOT MS, the Fox Team) was implementing these,
it was a cool idea to create complex storage as open and
well-documented DBF formats rather than closed-format proprietary
binary files. Hacking the DBFs with visionary tools like GenScrnX was
a huge leap ahead for FoxPro.

There were flaws and warts to the implementations, but it was all good
at the time. Very well-intentioned (and you know what they say about
good intentions!) and focused on letting the developer have more
access into the metadata.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com
MB Software Solutions General Account
2008-10-02 20:44:37 UTC
Ted Roche wrote:
> "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by ignorance." At
> the time, the Fox Team (NOT MS, the Fox Team) was implementing these,
> it was a cool idea to create complex storage as open and
> well-documented DBF formats rather than closed-format proprietary
> binary files. Hacking the DBFs with visionary tools like GenScrnX was
> a huge leap ahead for FoxPro.
>
> There were flaws and warts to the implementations, but it was all good
> at the time. Very well-intentioned (and you know what they say about
> good intentions!) and focused on letting the developer have more
> access into the metadata.

Totally believable given how the Fox team was so good at empowering the
developer.
Richard Kaye
2008-10-02 18:57:35 UTC
It's not rocket science but I'll be happy to make my little
contribution... <g> I'm sure others will improve as needed.

Now just refresh my memory on how I'm supposed to submit files to the
download pages.

2008-10-02 19:33:06 UTC

http://leafe.com/dls

Click on the "Upload page" link and fill out the details!
Jim Harvey
2008-10-02 19:28:34 UTC
Having trouble getting the data on a form to update after a user on the same
form on another pc on the network makes a edit to the data.

Buffering is set to 5, and I'm using tableupdate to commit the change -
tableupdate(1,.f.,'accounts').

There is a timer on the form that refreshes the form every 15 seconds,
thereby updating the form and showing the changed data, but it is not
working here.

Is there another way to do this?

James E Harvey
Hanover Shoe Farms, Inc.
M.I.S./Corresponding Officer
Off: 717-637-8931
fax: 717-637-6766
email: ***@hanoverpa.com
MB Software Solutions General Account
2008-10-02 20:44:44 UTC

Requery the view. (Or are you not using views?)
Rick Schummer
2008-10-03 00:04:30 UTC
Hi James,

Table or view? If view is the table in the DE and buffered as well on either form in question?

What is the second parameter for SET REFRESH set to?

Timer does a refresh of the data how? You can try to RLOCK() and UNLOCK to trigger a refresh. Are
you calling thisform.Refresh() thinking it could refresh the data? Refresh method only updates the
form with the data in the buffer, not updating the buffer. If view, you need to perform a Requery().

Jim Harvey
2008-10-03 11:45:31 UTC
Rick,

Thanks Rick, it was the SET REFRESH setting I was missing. As soon as I
changed it to 5,5 from 0,0 the form data refreshed.

Jim

James E Harvey
Hanover Shoe Farms, Inc.
M.I.S./Corresponding Officer
Off: 717-637-8931
fax: 717-637-6766
email: ***@hanoverpa.com

Eurico Chagas Filho
2008-10-03 12:13:21 UTC
Jim

If you use 0 for nSeconds2, according to the manual,
0 will always use data in memory buffer but do not refresh buffer.
I guess you should use .001 instead of zero.

HTH, E.
Rick Schummer
2008-10-03 15:00:24 UTC
>> Thanks Rick, it was the SET REFRESH setting I was missing. As soon as I
changed it to 5,5 from 0,0 the form data refreshed.<<

Please note the lower the number the higher the network traffic you will introduce. Set wisely.

www.rickschummer.com
MB Software Solutions General Account
2008-10-03 15:23:25 UTC
Rick Schummer wrote:
>>> Thanks Rick, it was the SET REFRESH setting I was missing. As soon as I
> changed it to 5,5 from 0,0 the form data refreshed.<<
>
> Please note the lower the number the higher the network traffic you will
introduce. Set wisely.

> Rick
> White Light Computing, Inc.

Good point. That's why I prefer a separate data set locally (e.g.,
views/cursors) and then only requery on demand. That data access
strategy has never failed me, and once I changed over to that design, I
got past many data "anomalies" with just using buffered vfp table data.
Jim Harvey
2008-10-03 15:12:01 UTC
Michael,

By on demand do you mean you added a button the user could click to refresh
the data?

If that works from your experience maybe I should do that instead of the
timer. I've had a timer running on one form for awhile, with no ill
effects, but if I add the same to more forms, it may develop into a problem
with traffic, as Rick mentioned...

James E Harvey
Hanover Shoe Farms, Inc.
M.I.S./Corresponding Officer
Off: 717-637-8931
fax: 717-637-6766
email: ***@hanoverpa.com

Of MB Software Solutions General Account
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 11:23 AM
To: ProFox Email List

2008-10-03 16:53:16 UTC
Jim Harvey wrote:
> Michael,
>
> By on demand do you mean you added a button the user could click to refresh
> the data?

That's right, Jim. Or, as the case was in one app where it was a
calendar on a huge screen in a production office, I used a timer to
auto-requery....but that was against a MySQL web database (...not that
it matters because it's the same principle).

> If that works from your experience maybe I should do that instead of the
> timer. I've had a timer running on one form for awhile, with no ill
> effects, but if I add the same to more forms, it may develop into a problem
> with traffic, as Rick mentioned...

I always prefer the idea of a disconnected dataset that can re-connect
and do what it needs to do (insert/update/delete) accordingly. I don't
like to rely on a constant connection like with classic VFP table
buffered apps.

ymmv.
Stephen Russell
2008-10-03 16:33:13 UTC
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:23 AM, MB Software Solutions General Account
<***@mbsoftwaresolutions.com> wrote:
>> changed it to 5,5 from 0,0 the form data refreshed.<<
>>
>> Please note the lower the number the higher the network traffic you will
> introduce. Set wisely.
>>
>> Rick
>> White Light Computing, Inc.
>

> Good point. That's why I prefer a separate data set locally (e.g.,
> views/cursors) and then only requery on demand. That data access
> strategy has never failed me, and once I changed over to that design, I
> got past many data "anomalies" with just using buffered vfp table data.

Not just to Michael.

In reality, what are you getting in a refresh?
1) any updates done while this data was brought local.
2) secondary data refresh for inventory count >0
3) some other reason?

>From that reply you have to design how you want to handle the situation.
for #1 attempt your update as dynamic SQL to only update row(s)
because the same starting data exists for the overwrite against the
dataset you currently have.

So you build up the list of columns to apply your change(s) to and
then run it. If you get a count back >0 for rows changed great.
Otherwise someone beat you to an edit.

For a #2 you have to just query that your count of existing ??? is
still available before you write the row.

--
Stephen Russell
Sr. Production Systems Programmer

901.246-0159
MB Software Solutions General Account
2008-10-03 16:56:41 UTC
On Fri, October 3, 2008 12:33 pm, Stephen Russell wrote:
> In reality, what are you getting in a refresh?
> 1) any updates done while this data was brought local.
> 2) secondary data refresh for inventory count >0
> 3) some other reason?
>

>> From that reply you have to design how you want to handle the
>> situation.
> for #1 attempt your update as dynamic SQL to only update row(s) because
> the same starting data exists for the overwrite against the dataset you
> currently have.

That's why the timestamp field is great in some RDBMSes...that allows you
to get the records that have been updated since the last time or avoid
just slinging the same data back and forth. Surely don't commit changes
to data you didn't change (like blind updates).

> So you build up the list of columns to apply your change(s) to and
> then run it. If you get a count back >0 for rows changed great. Otherwise
> someone beat you to an edit.

Right

I don't follow you on that one.
Stephen Russell
2008-10-03 18:58:55 UTC
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 11:56 AM, MB Software Solutions General Account
<***@mbsoftwaresolutions.com> wrote:
> On Fri, October 3, 2008 12:33 pm, Stephen Russell wrote:
>> In reality, what are you getting in a refresh?
>> 1) any updates done while this data was brought local.
>> 2) secondary data refresh for inventory count >0
>> 3) some other reason?
>>

>>> From that reply you have to design how you want to handle the
>>> situation.
>> for #1 attempt your update as dynamic SQL to only update row(s) because
>> the same starting data exists for the overwrite against the dataset you
>> currently have.
>
> That's why the timestamp field is great in some RDBMSes...that allows you
> to get the records that have been updated since the last time or avoid
> just slinging the same data back and forth. Surely don't commit changes
> to data you didn't change (like blind updates).
I have to disagree on a timestamp for that use.

If I pulled a row of data and want to update it, and nobody else has
updated that column of the row, I should have full clearance to write
that change back.

I could be on the phone with a customer and changing the contact
person's name in the cust table at the same time the end of month
could be running anf for sume reason it updates the cust table with
Lastmonths Order Value. Why should that update interfere with mine?
Your timestamp clause would screw over my update.

Richard Kaye
2008-10-02 19:48:57 UTC
OK, MB. It's in the queue.

Ed Leafe
2008-10-02 23:59:41 UTC
On Oct 2, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Richard Kaye wrote:

> OK, MB. It's in the queue.

It's now available on the dls page.

-- Ed Leafe
Rick Schummer
2008-10-03 00:45:22 UTC
>> A nice side effect is being able to compare text files to find differences between project
files.<<

Yes, another handy developer tool I'm sure.

Speaking of comparing files, Frank Perez, another White Light geek wrote an add-on to Beyond
Compare. It flattens the binary source code to text and does the comparison in a way cool tool.
Helpful to me on a number of occasions.

http://www.pfsolutions-mi.com/blog/2008/03/08/BeyondCompare.aspx

www.rickschummer.com
KAM.covad
2008-10-01 23:24:16 UTC
We have 2 backups.
1. We backup the entire drive with Acronis daily
2. select folders using a batch file which is driven by HandyBackup (We don't use the backup features of handy backup because we
found that if files were open, it would skip and would not report it - our batch file uses XCOPY with Errorlevel and will loop
forever until you fix the problem) We discovered this by accident when we needed to restore a critical file and found it was on
several backups but not on the day we really wanted. I doubt we will ever trust another backup program without some kind of brute
force method of checking every file to be sure the backup really worked.

Kevin Cully
2008-10-01 18:45:28 UTC
The coverage profiler can be your friend here.

IF FILE("debugmode.txt")
SET COVERAGE TO Startup.log
ENDIF
&& Now, do your startup routine up to just before the first menu, form
is displayed
SET COVERAGE TO

Then use the coverage profiler to open up Startup.log and look at what's
taking so darn long.

-Kevin
CULLY Technologies, LLC

Kevin Cully
2008-10-01 18:47:28 UTC
Oops. I thought you said "program" like you're running a desktop
application, and not "project" like you're running inside of VFP. Sorry!

-Kevin
CULLY Technologies, LLC

KAM.covad
2008-10-01 18:55:23 UTC
The problem is in development mode. Type 'Modify project xyz' Usually, the project would be visible in a few seconds max.

Stephen Russell
2008-10-01 20:35:39 UTC
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:38 PM, KAM.covad <***@kenmcginnis.com> wrote:
> This project was loading normally, a few seconds until a week ago. Now it takes more than 3 minutes. After it does finally load,
> everything seems to be fine.
>
> Is there a way to trace through the loading process so I could see where it is hanging?
>
> Any ideas?

Stop the conversion into java.

I just added this in my IM profile this morning.

"Knock, knock." "Who's there?" very long pause…. "Java."

901.246-0159
Ed Leafe
2008-10-01 20:44:06 UTC
On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Stephen Russell wrote:

> Stop the conversion into java.
>
> I just added this in my IM profile this morning.
>

> "Knock, knock." "Who's there?" very long pause…. "Java."

I used to feel the same way, but I just saw a technical demo of a
service used here that handles millions of requests a day with amazing
latency numbers that hardly nudges the CPU. It's written entirely in
Java, and does lots of non-trivial stuff in each request.

Java has not been sitting still all these years. Well-written Java
code can be plenty fast.

-- Ed Leafe
Stephen Russell
2008-10-01 21:54:56 UTC
On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:44 PM, Ed Leafe <***@leafe.com> wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2008, at 3:35 PM, Stephen Russell wrote:
>
>> Stop the conversion into java.
>>
>> I just added this in my IM profile this morning.
>>

>> "Knock, knock." "Who's there?" very long pause…. "Java."
>
> I used to feel the same way, but I just saw a technical demo of a
> service used here that handles millions of requests a day with amazing
> latency numbers that hardly nudges the CPU. It's written entirely in
> Java, and does lots of non-trivial stuff in each request.
>
> Java has not been sitting still all these years. Well-written Java
> code can be plenty fast.

It is just getting it started that the sloooowwwww feeling comes from.
After it is established it humps.

I just liked the joke.

901.246-0159
Sytze de Boer
2008-10-01 22:09:59 UTC
I had exactly the same some months ago
I changed the AV program and it solved the issue. Full stop

KAM.covad
2008-10-01 23:24:27 UTC
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I finally stripped as many things out of the startup as possible and then add them back one
at a time.

I think I found the problem. I have been opening firefox with the feature 'open all in tabs' - this automatically opened 12 web
sites. This consumed over 150,000K of my 2gb and killed the performance. After closing Firefox and deleting it from the task
manager, the performance is now back to normal. I had no idea that Firefox would do that. I am using v2.0.0.17

Vince Teachout
2008-10-02 00:59:53 UTC
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 7:38 AM, KAM.covad <***@kenmcginnis.com>wrote:
>

>> This project was loading normally, a few seconds until a week ago. Now it
>> takes more than 3 minutes. After it does finally load,
>> everything seems to be fine.
>>
>> Is there a way to trace through the loading process so I could see where it
>> is hanging?
>>
>> Any ideas?

Any chance that you've tied in some sort of source code repository into
the project? I used to have Seapine SCM tied in to mine, and it took 5
minutes to open a project. Dropped it, and now it opens instantly.
MB Software Solutions, LLC
2008-10-02 02:06:52 UTC

Note to self: stay away from Seapine SCM! ;-)
Alan Bourke
2008-10-02 09:28:18 UTC
On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 11:09:59 +1300, "Sytze de Boer" <***@kiss.co.nz>
said:
> I had exactly the same some months ago
> I changed the AV program and it solved the issue. Full stop

Was it not possible just to exclude your VFP source folders from
scanning?
--
Alan Bourke
***@fastmail.fm
Jack Skelley
2008-10-01 18:51:54 UTC
Paul:
This is what modal is for when you have a pure VFP app. But in my case this is not true. There are other open apps that VFP is 'talking to' as long as the current window doesn't change all is good. But if user activates another window and I am trying to load window 'x' and window 'y' becomes active all quickly goes down hill.
I am sure that my users do not know alt+tab as a kbd shortcut...
Ok on the message box idea.
Thanks for any ideas you have.
Regards,

Jack

Paul
Paul McNett
2008-10-01 19:01:58 UTC
Jack Skelley wrote:
> This is what modal is for when you have a pure VFP app. But in my case this is not true. There are other open apps that VFP is 'talking to' as long as the current window doesn't change all is good. But if user activates another window and I am trying to load window 'x' and window 'y' becomes active all quickly goes down hill.
> I am sure that my users do not know alt+tab as a kbd shortcut...
> Ok on the message box idea.
> Thanks for any ideas you have.

If a mouse gets an electric shock when it grabs food from slot b, it
learns to grab food from slot a instead.

So if really bad things happen if a user doesn't wait for a process to
finish, why not warn them with a message box and then if they forget,
that really bad thing will happen which will keep them from doing it
again in the future.

But I'd go back to the source of the problem. What about the design is
so fragile that it can't stand user interaction? I'd fix that design
problem instead of the symptom. So for instance, if you are interacting
with an IE window and it would be bad for the user to close that window
or pull up a different web page, you could disable it or make it
invisible for the critical time of the process. Or something.

Paul
Michael Madigan
2008-10-01 19:19:06 UTC
I agree with Paul. I've had shaky apps like this and it is always a problem.

Can you give us a hint on what the other windows are actually doing?

Jack Skelley
2008-10-01 20:19:28 UTC
Paul:
Warning my users would make them want to mess it up all the more! I love these guys but all have been hit in the head with sticks and pucks their entire life.
You are absolutely correct about the fragile application.
I tried using CDO to send email to our exchange server but the mail was rejected. Plus I have tried too many other ways to send mail that doesn't work either.
What does work is to launch the web access version of the exchange box and send mail that way. But it involves multiple windows that are touchy as to what window is getting the info. Especially when attachment windows appear.
I tried making the window hidden but then the data transfer does not take place. Apparently the window must be on top to receive the data.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Regards,

Jack

Michael Madigan
2008-10-01 20:24:52 UTC
What about just automating Outlook?

Jack Skelley
2008-10-01 20:57:08 UTC
Michael:
Doesn't work...
Outlook express is on some boxes and outlook 2000 is on others.
With Exchange 2007 you need Outlook 2003 or better. Don't have it and can't buy it. We are using OWA (Outlook Web Access) which seems ok.
CDO was a good choice because you could authenticate with it. But the exchange box rejected it with invalid user (even though it was correct). I don't have access to the exchange box and the folks that were supposed to help couldn't/wouldn't.
Here is some CDO code I tried:
clear
on error do error_hand
use s_email
loMessage = Createobject("CDO.Message")
loConfiguration = Createobject("CDO.Configuration")
lcSchema = "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"
With loConfiguration.Fields
.Item(lcSchema + "postusing") = 1
.Item(lcSchema + "smtpserver") = our_mail_server
.Item(lcSchema + "smtpserverport") = 25
.Item(lcSchema + "smtpconnectiontimeout") = 30
.Item(lcSchema + "smtpAccountName") = "account name here"
.Item(lcSchema + "sendemailaddress") = "sender email address"
.Item(lcSchema + "sendusername") = "sender name"
.Item(lcSchema + "sendpassword") = "passwrd here"
.Item(lcSchema + "sendusing") = 2
.Item(lcSchema + "smtpauthenticate") = 1
.Item(lcSchema + "smtpusessl") = .f. &&do not use SSL
.Update()
ENDWITH
With loMessage
.Configuration = loConfiguration
.organization = "NJ Devils Hockey Club"
.FROM = from_email_address
.to = to_email_address
.Subject = "Test Email From CDO - test 3 auth = 1"
.TextBody = s_email.e_text &&from DB field...
.Addattachment("C:\Canon Olympus Camera\Salmon Flies\BlackDose.jpg") &&to add an attachment or a group of attachments
.fields("urn:schemas:httpmail:Importance") = 2 &&changes the header in the email but does not change the importance or priority...bug???
.fields("urn:schemas:httpmail:Priority") = 1
.fields.update()
.Send()
ENDWITH
loMessage = null
loConfiguration = null
use
return
procedure error_hand &&error 1429 will be triggered if an error in the send
dimension gaError(7) &&7 rows is returned in AERROR()
for i = 1 to 7 &&clear the error array
gaError(i) = ""
endfor
aerror(gaError) &&load the error parameters
? gaError(3) &&gaError(i,3) will have the simplified error message
*_cliptext = gaError(3)
return .f.

How do the rest send email form VFP to an exchange box?
Regards,

Jack

Michael Madigan
2008-10-01 21:10:26 UTC
Then I would try Paul's suggestion and try Blat.

Jack Skelley
2008-10-01 21:58:54 UTC
Michael:
Blat does not work. This is one of the many I have tried. I get a return code of 1 from it when I try and send mail from a foreign ISP. The error is something like 'invalid parameter'. But when I send mail via Blat on our internal network is goes through every time.
I am sure it it some setting on the Exchange box that is rejecting the mail but I can't get anyone to help. It is our box but I am locked out of it. It's a long story...consultants...
Thanks for your help.
Regards,

Jack
2008-10-02 14:06:58 UTC
Micheal:
For years I have used Aspemail and it worked great to our pop3 mail server is AZ.
If I send the same email via the same ISP using blat, CDO, Aspemail, etc. to our pop3 server in AZ it goes through every time with no issue. Sending it the Exchange server in Newark, NJ always results in an error code and the mail is not sent. I even had the consultants create a special mail account for me for my purposes. But again I am not sure of the settings.
I am sure it is an issue with the exchange box here but I can't get anyone to look at it. Even if I had access to the box I don't know enough to be even dangerous. It is Exchange 2007.
I am not sure what other features of exchange we are using. Blackberry for sure.
The solution I came up with using OWA works very well for sending simple email and it can even handle attachments. The only issue I have is if the window receiving the data is changed the data is sent not where expected. I do have a timeout feature so if this does happen it will clear the forms and try again. Annoying to say the least. I can really muddy the waters that before each piece of data is sent I make sure that the window on top is correct. Whacky...
I will implement my OWA plan and see how it goes as the existing mail server in AZ will be shut down shortly.
Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Regards,

Jack

2008-10-02 15:21:59 UTC
Jack,

If you can use Outlook to send mail through your Exchange server, then
the problem most certainly isn't with the Exchange server. You just
don't have the client settings correct in blat or whatever. Questions:

+ port 25 or no? If no, could be 993 or 465
+ SSL or no? Probably SSL, probably wrapped in TLS
+ secure authentication or no? Probably yes

Google for testing smtp servers using telnet. Then once you can send
mail using a manual telnet session, you'll have all the pieces known to
send email using your setup.

Again, if mail clients can send mail through your Exchange server, then
there's nothing misconfigured on the Exchange side. Unless Microsoft has
done some incredibly shifty things when I wasn't looking. Which of
course is always possible. :)

But... if you can't set TBird or Outlook to send mail through Exchange,
ask the consultants why that doesn't work and have them give you the
proper settings. Say "I can't get my Thunderbird to send mail through
Exchange. What am I doing wrong?" and send them the settings you are using.

Paul
Jack Skelley
2008-10-02 18:09:42 UTC
Paul:
Port 25 is the setting.
No SSL.
Authentication is required on Exchange.
When I asked the question to the consultants as to why can't I use Thunderbird the response was "Exchange 2007 needs Outlook 2003 (or better) or OWA to send/receive mail".
I tried Tbird and the connection was refused. Tbird is the 'official' mail client for the scouts...until the Arizona POP3 server is shut off. Then it will be Outlook. It is a shame as all of this was working so well before the Exchange nightmare.
I did call the consultants today after reading your mail and asked them about CDO. I sent them my error code and code. They said they will get back to me...CDO would be my preferred method...
Thanks for your suggestions. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.

2008-10-02 19:03:07 UTC
Jack Skelley wrote:
> Paul:
> Port 25 is the setting.
> No SSL.
> Authentication is required on Exchange.
> When I asked the question to the consultants as to why can't I use
Thunderbird the response was "Exchange 2007 needs Outlook 2003 (or
better) or OWA to send/receive mail".
> I tried Tbird and the connection was refused. Tbird is the 'official'
mail client for the scouts...until the Arizona POP3 server is shut off.
Then it will be Outlook. It is a shame as all of this was working so
well before the Exchange nightmare.
> I did call the consultants today after reading your mail and asked them
about CDO. I sent them my error code and code. They said they will get
back to me...CDO would be my preferred method...
> Thanks for your suggestions. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.
> Regards,
>
> Jack

Someone in this thread had mentioned using blat for secure SMTP.....I
checked the blat.net website and it had no mention of that. I think the
statement was erroneous...can someone prove it's true????

tia!
--Michael
Michael Madigan
2008-10-02 19:01:11 UTC
Of course the question is, why was it necessary to upgrade exchange server? The answer is: to give consultants something to bill for.
Jack Skelley
2008-10-02 19:25:22 UTC
Good Afternoon Michael:
Speaking of consultants...I just sent them the detailed error message from CDO and the VFP code that will work when I send it from inside the building but is rejected when sent from a foreign ISP.
They said they will get back to me...I don't hold my breath in these situations...in the mean time, my OWA can be used as gludgey as it is...
The reason we switched from the POP3 server in Arizona (hosted email by LimeLight) to the in house Exchange Server was to cut down on the amount of spam we where getting. Many of the NJ Devils email accounts are aliased to VPs for monitoring purposes; so their spam is sometimes through the roof. I tried to explain that the spam will still get through regardless of the server. Now instead of seeing the spam in the inbox you have to go to the junk folder and look at each piece and decide its fate. If it's not junk mark it as such or if it is leave it there. Regardless it still needs to be examined.
The server was also switched from AZ to Newark, NJ so we could have better control of the box. Of course, this is not true since the consultants will not give the admin password to the server to me. Some control!!!
And the mail server was switched to give the consultants something to bill for! <bg>
Regards,

Jack

Richard Kaye
2008-10-02 19:42:59 UTC
I highly recommend Postini. (I don't manage it or know anything on cost,
etc.) We use it here and my junk mail is nil and false positives
extremely rare.

Jack Skelley
2008-10-02 19:48:05 UTC
Richard:
Thanks for the heads up. I will 'ask' the consultants about it.
Regards,

Jack

Michael Madigan
2008-10-02 19:49:28 UTC
This makes me sick. I can't stand when things go backwards for no reason.

I worked for a company who hosted their exchange server in their office. The office building was always losing power, so if the power went off, the server went down, and nobody in the whole friggin company got email. If the power went off on a Friday night, nobody had email until Monday morning.

I begged and pleaded with them to go to an outside pop3 server since nobody was using exchange for anything other than email and we could get 50 users for $20 bucks a month, get 24/7 uptime, automatic backups, and webmail from anywhere in the world.

Nope, they knew best.

Jack Skelley
2008-10-02 20:12:17 UTC
Michael:
This was an instance where I said to the men in charge to be careful what they are asking for because it will happen.
Nobody is happy with the exchange server because we can't buy Outlook 2007 for all in the company. Way too much money - to the tune of $12,000.
The consultants say that no other client will work. So ok we do have Outlook Web Access (OWA) which is ok for its limitations. But some need to access their email offline so the web solution doesn't work for them. So these folks are getting Outlook 2007.
Also, all the email address have changed because there was no way to implement the change in the world simultaneously (AKA scouts) so 2 mail servers are still running. But not for long.
All of my VFP apps communicate system critical info back to me via email when the user connects to the Internet or to the servers. The amount of time I have spent trying to re-invent this wheel is staggering. This wasn't broken but it still needed to be fixed.
I could go on but it is moot...
Thanks for all your ideas. I am hoping to get this resolved using CDO through the consults (can't wait to see the bill on this for something that should have been configured correctly in the first place). If you are not familiar with CDO messaging check out:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms526453.aspx It is actually very slick and works when it doesn't need to talk to a MS Exchange 2007 Server!
Best regards,

Jack

Nope, they knew best.
Paul McNett
2008-10-03 00:35:49 UTC
Jack Skelley wrote:
> Paul:
> Port 25 is the setting.
> No SSL.
> Authentication is required on Exchange.
> When I asked the question to the consultants as to why can't I use Thunderbird the response was "Exchange 2007 needs Outlook 2003 (or better) or OWA to send/receive mail".
> I tried Tbird and the connection was refused. Tbird is the 'official' mail client for the scouts...until the Arizona POP3 server is shut off. Then it will be Outlook. It is a shame as all of this was working so well before the Exchange nightmare.
> I did call the consultants today after reading your mail and asked them about CDO. I sent them my error code and code. They said they will get back to me...CDO would be my preferred method...
> Thanks for your suggestions. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.

It just doesn't make any sense that the mailserver would refuse a
connection based on the client software. It makes less than zero sense.

Paul
Michael Madigan
2008-10-03 01:27:18 UTC
Maybe they're talking about all the bells and whistles of exchange server, not just the mail part of it.

Either way, these consultants seem like they're padding their bill with needless work.

Michael Madigan
2008-10-03 01:27:44 UTC

Jack Skelley
2008-10-03 14:02:36 UTC
Michael:
TRUE!!!! These guys are great at padding the bill.
Regards,

Jack

2008-10-03 14:45:04 UTC

It's the "padding the bill" folks who make it bad for the rest of us.
Efren Pedroza
2008-10-02 16:30:15 UTC
What I'm see, is that on your new Exchange Server you'll need to provide a
credentials, let's say username / password, It should be a new version of
Exchange on yor NW Server, if you have a registered version of Aspemail you
can add user / password paaremeters and that should work fine

Regards !!!

Jack Skelley
2008-10-02 17:44:21 UTC
Efren:
I provide that with the CDO code. But it still does not work.
If I am going to buy something to make this nightmare work it will be Outlook 2007 to interface into the Exchange Server.
Aspemail worked great into the POP3 server but I will not roll the dice that a registered version will talk to Exchange.
Thanks for your input.
Regards,

Jack Skelley

Paul McNett
2008-10-01 20:38:09 UTC
Jack Skelley wrote:
> Paul:
> Warning my users would make them want to mess it up all the more! I love these guys but all have been hit in the head with sticks and pucks their entire life.
> You are absolutely correct about the fragile application.
> I tried using CDO to send email to our exchange server but the mail was rejected. Plus I have tried too many other ways to send mail that doesn't work either.
> What does work is to launch the web access version of the exchange box and send mail that way. But it involves multiple windows that are touchy as to what window is getting the info. Especially when attachment windows appear.
> I tried making the window hidden but then the data transfer does not take place. Apparently the window must be on top to receive the data.
> Thanks for the suggestions.

Have you tried using blat.dll to send your email? It handles smtp
authentication, and secure smtp using ssl...

Paul
Tracy Pearson
2008-10-01 19:13:24 UTC
A couple of API's that might help: FindWindow and BringWindowToTop
Or you can use CreateProcess or ShellExecuteEx to launch a program and wait
for it to finish before continuing. (There's a few more API's needed for
that trick)

If you are talking to the other windows via automation, couldn't you hide
them? oExcel.Visible = .F. works for me.

Jack
Gérard Lochon
2008-10-03 13:16:41 UTC
> My smartass suggestion: display a messagebox:
>
> "Press Okay once you've unplugged the mouse".
>
> :)

I agree with this opinion.

Think about another problem : the computer may have some physical problem
with the keyboard ... how the user will be able to finish / save its work if
the mouse is disabled ? :o(

I don't joke, i actually have this problem ; my old laptop keyboard isn't
well recognized any more. I tried to plug an external one ... héhé ... any
usb peripheral is ok, except for keyboards ... so i can't even enter the
BIOS to dig the hole. Keys physically works, but makes strange behaviours,
as if an alt or ctrl key was always pressed ; the tech'team said to me that
it is a problem with the interruption repository on the motherboard, but
there is no immediate solution cause the company (MAXDATA) is in
liquidation. Gasp. But no problem, the mouse was there to let me finish my
work on this computer ! (well, it was nnot so easy, i had to enter strings
using the character map app, clicking on each letter and using the
copy-paste to put them in the fields, but it worked !!).

Gérard.
Jack Skelley
2008-10-03 13:24:55 UTC
Gerard:
I don't want to disable the mouse permanently only when the send email form is visible. As soon as the mail is sent enable the mouse.
Programmatically there must be a way but I haven't found it.
I looked to see if the mouse is on a service but couldn't find. Stop the service while email is sending then start the service when it's done. That would be too simple.
Thanks for your input.
Regards,

Jack Skelley

Paul McNett
2008-10-03 13:35:38 UTC
Jack Skelley wrote:
> Gerard:
> I don't want to disable the mouse permanently only when the send email form is visible. As soon as the mail is sent enable the mouse.
> Programmatically there must be a way but I haven't found it.
> I looked to see if the mouse is on a service but couldn't find. Stop the service while email is sending then start the service when it's done. That would be too simple.
> Thanks for your input.

Back in NT4 days you could stop the mouse device. And then there was a
50% chance that it would come back when you started it again. But I
don't know how to script that (it was in Control Panel/Devices) and it
is probably obsolete.

Paul
Richard Kaye
2008-10-03 13:50:12 UTC
Maybe you can somehow trap the current mouse coordinates and restrict
the mouse movement to your email window? Sounds like a candidate for
Whil's user hostile interface session but perhaps it's another way to
approach your issue.

Gérard Lochon
2008-10-03 15:26:04 UTC
I don't want to disable the mouse permanently only when the send email form
is visible. As soon as the mail is sent enable the mouse.
Programmatically there must be a way but I haven't found it.

Why not use inkey('M"), and trap the mouse events ?

Gérard.
Tracy Pearson
2008-10-01 18:44:37 UTC
Then you are looking for the System Modal API which doesn't work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/147817

You can sudo it, but there are drawbacks to it.

Better to not do it.

Jack Skelley
Mike yearwood
2008-10-01 18:06:07 UTC
Ummm Jack?

Disabling the mouse is like disabling the steering wheel in a car.
Find a way to let the user do what they do.

Mike Yearwood

Garry Bettle
2008-10-03 07:47:52 UTC
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 15:03:07 -0400 (EDT), "MB Software Solutions
General Account" wrote:

> Jack Skelley wrote:
>> Paul:
>> Port 25 is the setting.
>> No SSL.
>> Authentication is required on Exchange.
>> When I asked the question to the consultants as to why can't I use
> Thunderbird the response was "Exchange 2007 needs Outlook 2003 (or
> better) or OWA to send/receive mail".
>> I tried Tbird and the connection was refused. Tbird is the 'official'
> mail client for the scouts...until the Arizona POP3 server is shut off.
> Then it will be Outlook. It is a shame as all of this was working so
> well before the Exchange nightmare.
>> I did call the consultants today after reading your mail and asked them
> about CDO. I sent them my error code and code. They said they will get
> back to me...CDO would be my preferred method...
>> Thanks for your suggestions. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jack

Hi Michael,

I've written an article - VFP, Gmail and Me - for the August VFUG
Newsletter that does SSL with Blat.

"... I'm actually using Gmail's SMTP server - smtp.gmail.com - to
email status reports from a
VFP\Python application.

The company I'm currently contracted to doesn't have a SMTP server as
such - they use combinations of Hotmail, AOL (!), Yahoo & Gmail.

smtp.gmail.com doesn't work with SSL and Blat can't provide that
secure tunnel. But an open source program called Stunnel
(http://www.stunnel.org/) provides the required encryption.":

http://vfug.org/Newsletters/Newsletters2.Afp?!_2H90GGGQWDate=08/31/2008#gb1

or

http://tinyurl.com/3k26rv

Cheers,

Garry
Sytze de Boer
2008-10-03 08:13:08 UTC
Whenever my client has an error in their system, or whenever they apply an
update of my system, it automatically emails me.

I wanted to use Blat, but stopped using that since it requires yet more 3rd
party software like stunnel, and/or configuations.
A lot of my clents are simply not into thinking SMTP and PORTS.

I have set up a specific gmail address (which is free) and I use that to
send these emails from my cliet's site to my email address.

If you want, I can send you the code. I'm sure I picked up most of the code
from profox or other website.
Check out
http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~CdoEmail~VFP

This was a breeze for me.

2008-10-03 14:45:26 UTC
Garry Bettle wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I've written an article - VFP, Gmail and Me - for the August VFUG
> Newsletter that does SSL with Blat.
>
> "... I'm actually using Gmail's SMTP server - smtp.gmail.com - to
> email status reports from a
> VFP\Python application.
>
> The company I'm currently contracted to doesn't have a SMTP server as
> such - they use combinations of Hotmail, AOL (!), Yahoo & Gmail.
>
> smtp.gmail.com doesn't work with SSL and Blat can't provide that
> secure tunnel. But an open source program called Stunnel
> (http://www.stunnel.org/) provides the required encryption.":
>
> http://vfug.org/Newsletters/Newsletters2.Afp?!_2H90GGGQWDate=08/31/2008#gb1
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3k26rv
>
> Cheers,
>
> Garry

Hi Garry!

Wow...I'd forgotten about VFUG since I unsubscribed. I'm sure Carl
doesn't miss my comments about those darn anti-vista folks who have to
be wrong for not upgrading to vista....<gd&r>.

Thanks for the link! Glad to hear VFUG still going!
Garry Bettle
2008-10-04 09:03:43 UTC
On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 21:13:08 +1300, "Sytze de Boer" wrote:

> Whenever my client has an error in their system, or whenever they apply an
> update of my system, it automatically emails me.
>
> I wanted to use Blat, but stopped using that since it requires yet more 3rd
> party software like stunnel, and/or configuations.
> A lot of my clents are simply not into thinking SMTP and PORTS.
>
> I have set up a specific gmail address (which is free) and I use that to
> send these emails from my cliet's site to my email address.
>
> If you want, I can send you the code. I'm sure I picked up most of the code
> from profox or other website.
> Check out
> http://fox.wikis.com/wc.dll?Wiki~CdoEmail~VFP
>
> This was a breeze for me.

Sytze,

Fantastic! I love Blat, but having to install stunnel could be a
problem in some cases.

<smile>And so could the requirement for MS Outlook and\or Exchange.</smile>

This code goes to 11:

http://www.portalfox.com/article.php?sid=2413

Many, many thanks.

Cheers,