[NF] Thank God for Thunderbird's Junk Mail filters
MB Software Solutions General Account
2007-09-30 23:06:20 UTC
OMG...1200 junk emails since 9/26! Holy cow! I'm sure others here have
worse statistics than that!
Paul McNett
2007-09-30 23:53:52 UTC
Post by MB Software Solutions General Account
OMG...1200 junk emails since 9/26! Holy cow! I'm sure others here have
worse statistics than that!
I used to have statistics worse than that, but so far I only have 50
junk mails in my tbird junk filter today.

A few months back, I adapted a multi-level anti-spam approach on my
mailserver, using:

+ Postfix features to reject or drop messages without things like
fully-qualified hostnames, properly formatted headers, etc.

+ Clam A/V

+ Postgrey greylist filtering (if my server hasn't seen a mail from and
to a given address, reject the message temporarily - we'll accept the
second try).

+ SPF filtering

Since then the junk has dropped significantly and I'm more confident
that my users aren't sending out bad stuff too.
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com
MB Software Solutions
2007-10-01 00:10:03 UTC
Post by Paul McNett
Post by MB Software Solutions General Account
OMG...1200 junk emails since 9/26! Holy cow! I'm sure others here have
worse statistics than that!
I used to have statistics worse than that, but so far I only have 50
junk mails in my tbird junk filter today.
A few months back, I adapted a multi-level anti-spam approach on my
+ Postfix features to reject or drop messages without things like
fully-qualified hostnames, properly formatted headers, etc.
+ Clam A/V
+ Postgrey greylist filtering (if my server hasn't seen a mail from and
to a given address, reject the message temporarily - we'll accept the
second try).
+ SPF filtering
Since then the junk has dropped significantly and I'm more confident
that my users aren't sending out bad stuff too.
That sounds like a good strategy, Paul. A client of mine uses
SpamArrest (?) and he said it's cut down his crap considerably too.
It's a "whitelist" kind of program that sends a "confirm you are who you
say you are" email to the sender.
--
Michael J. Babcock, MCP
MB Software Solutions, LLC
"Work smarter, not harder, with MBSS custom software solutions!"
Paul McNett
2007-10-01 00:13:52 UTC
Post by MB Software Solutions
That sounds like a good strategy, Paul. A client of mine uses
SpamArrest (?) and he said it's cut down his crap considerably too.
It's a "whitelist" kind of program that sends a "confirm you are who you
say you are" email to the sender.
I think that is the wrong thing to do. Wrong wrong wrong. I get so
annoyed every time I have to visit a web page just to have the privilege
to send someone an email.

"Be tolerant when receiving, and strict when sending."

As long as the mail conforms to the standards and doesn't contain known
spam, my server will accept the email.
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com
Ed Leafe
2007-10-01 00:19:56 UTC
On Sep 30, 2007, at 7:06 PM, MB Software Solutions General Account
Post by MB Software Solutions General Account
OMG...1200 junk emails since 9/26! Holy cow! I'm sure others here have
worse statistics than that!
Here's the daily stats for yesterday (Saturday) for my server:

2215 Accepted 12.82%
15066 Rejected 87.18%
-------- ------------------------------------------------
17281 Total 100.00%

Granted, I support a lot more traffic than most, but the percentages
are telling. 87% of the mail hitting my server is rejected due to
spam controls. After that, the rest gets sent through SpamBayes for
content filtering; of that, 552 were rejected, making the total
percentage of mail that was crap 90%!

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com
MB Software Solutions
2007-10-01 00:23:58 UTC
Post by Ed Leafe
2215 Accepted 12.82%
15066 Rejected 87.18%
-------- ------------------------------------------------
17281 Total 100.00%
Granted, I support a lot more traffic than most, but the percentages
are telling. 87% of the mail hitting my server is rejected due to
spam controls. After that, the rest gets sent through SpamBayes for
content filtering; of that, 552 were rejected, making the total
percentage of mail that was crap 90%!
Simply remarkable! Do you see any relief in this coming down the pike
or is this something we'll all just have to accept as the way it is?
Ed Leafe
2007-10-01 00:34:12 UTC
Post by MB Software Solutions
Simply remarkable! Do you see any relief in this coming down the pike
or is this something we'll all just have to accept as the way it is?
That's just the way it is. The fact that my server rejected 87% of
the mail based on header info such as address verification, etc.,
means that it didn't have to process the entire message in order to
find out it was crap, which is about the best solution you can
expect, given the current SMTP protocol.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com
Leland F. Jackson, CPA
2007-10-01 02:03:53 UTC
Post by Ed Leafe
Post by MB Software Solutions
Simply remarkable! Do you see any relief in this coming down the pike
or is this something we'll all just have to accept as the way it is?
That's just the way it is. The fact that my server rejected 87% of
the mail based on header info such as address verification, etc.,
means that it didn't have to process the entire message in order to
find out it was crap, which is about the best solution you can
expect, given the current SMTP protocol.
-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com
I've recently switched to Postfix as my MTA, and dbmail using lmtp to
locally carry emails between Postfix and my Postgresql email store.
It's a great system. Dbmail can be installed from FC6 using the
[Add/Remove] menu options which install the demail daemons in the
/usr/sbin directory, creates the services to automatically start
everything when the system is booted, and automatically creates the
dbmail user and dbmail group under which dbmail runs. All I had to do,
once I had the Add/Remove dialog window displayed on my FC6 server, was
search on dbmail and then check on the dbmail binaries that appeared,
and then click on {Apply]. Dbmail also supports MySQL and SQLite as
email stores in addition to PostgreSQL database server. The tarball
would have to be downloaded to obtain the sql file from which the
database is built, then it's just a matter of creating the dbmail
database, the dbmail user and password, and the dbmail group, and
reading in the sql file which creates all the tables, indexes ,etc in
the PostgreSQL database server.

Dbmail also has a web based GUI administrative tool named DBMA v2.4.9 in
my case, which makes it easy to add new users, set user permissions, do
searches of email, and keep the PostgreSQL database clean and tidy.
Each user password is stored in a PostgreSQL dbmail table using plain,
md5sum, md4, or crypt formats depending on admin preferences. Users
authenticate to a PostgreSQL table, so there is no need to create a
Linux user account to add new email users.

Security, speed, and scalability in dbmail is as good as your PostgreSQL
database configuration and clusters are supported.

I can backup my email system every night with a hot backup from a
crontab job created with webmin, so the email server need not be
interrupted.

Dbmail is much easier to install and configure than was the Cyrus imap
system I previously used.

Dbmail can be configured to use various email filters and virus scanners
to filter out unwanted or dangerous emails, but I havn't gotten into any
of that yet.

Dbmail also supports server sided sieve filtering or redirecting of
email into designated folders and auto/vacation reply. All the sieve
scripts can be created using the squirrelmail GUI plugin and works
exactly like it did under Cyrus_imapd.

Regards,

LelandJ
[excessive quoting removed by server]
MB Software Solutions
2007-10-01 02:08:43 UTC
Post by Ed Leafe
That's just the way it is. The fact that my server rejected 87% of
the mail based on header info such as address verification, etc.,
means that it didn't have to process the entire message in order to
find out it was crap, which is about the best solution you can
expect, given the current SMTP protocol.
How do you affix a cost (waste/loss) to these kinds of things?
Obviously you've cut your losses significantly by filtering most of this
crap out ahead of time, but I wonder about all of those "wasted
electrons" and the cost of such? In some weird way, are we losing much
electricity globally on this kind of crap?
Ed Leafe
2007-10-01 03:54:13 UTC
Post by MB Software Solutions
How do you affix a cost (waste/loss) to these kinds of things?
Obviously you've cut your losses significantly by filtering most of this
crap out ahead of time, but I wonder about all of those "wasted
electrons" and the cost of such? In some weird way, are we losing much
electricity globally on this kind of crap?
Dunno. Normally, even with this load, the CPUs on my server are
running at less than 1%, so I can't blame the spam for any electrical
load.

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com
Man-wai Chang
2007-10-01 04:01:32 UTC
Post by MB Software Solutions General Account
OMG...1200 junk emails since 9/26! Holy cow! I'm sure others here have
worse statistics than that!
Don't forget to clear the Junk folder periodically. :)
--
@~@ http://changmw.homeip.net
/ v \ May the Force and Farce be with you! Linux 2.6.22.8
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk
Man-wai Chang
2007-10-01 08:10:02 UTC
Post by Man-wai Chang
Post by MB Software Solutions General Account
OMG...1200 junk emails since 9/26! Holy cow! I'm sure others here have
worse statistics than that!
Don't forget to clear the Junk folder periodically. :)
In case you are interested, Thunderbird saves all learnt rules in a file
called training.dat. Once Thunderbird learnt the rules from the spam
messages, you would not need to keep the junk messages.
--
@~@ http://changmw.homeip.net
/ v \ May the Force and Farce be with you! Linux 2.6.22.8
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) 16:08:01 up 5 days 18:58
^ ^ 0 users load average: 1.04 1.09 1.08
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk
Pete Theisen
2007-10-01 05:24:27 UTC
On Sunday 30 September 2007 18:06, MB Software Solutions General Account
Post by MB Software Solutions General Account
OMG...1200 junk emails since 9/26! Holy cow! I'm sure others here have
worse statistics than that!
Hi Michael!

I feel so insignificant. Since 9/26 I have only gotten 9. All from the same
dork, too. May he rot in spam hell.

I think Verizon filters it for me, but I am not sure.
--
Regards,

Pete
http://www.pete-theisen.com/
Man-wai Chang
2007-10-01 05:35:18 UTC
Post by Pete Theisen
I feel so insignificant. Since 9/26 I have only gotten 9. All from the same
dork, too. May he rot in spam hell.
I think Verizon filters it for me, but I am not sure.
Watch out! Your ISP's mail filter may filter out important messages. :)
--
@~@ http://changmw.homeip.net
/ v \ May the Force and Farce be with you! Linux 2.6.22.8
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) 13:34:01 up 5 days 16:24
^ ^ 0 users load average: 0.09 0.05 0.01
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk
Pete Theisen
2007-10-01 07:03:04 UTC
Post by Man-wai Chang
Post by Pete Theisen
I feel so insignificant. Since 9/26 I have only gotten 9. All from the
same dork, too. May he rot in spam hell.
I think Verizon filters it for me, but I am not sure.
Watch out! Your ISP's mail filter may filter out important messages. :)
Hi Man-wai!

Yeah. I might miss something about politics, religion or even sheep. This is
not to even mention that poor guy who has to get his late godfather's
billions out of Nigeria. He will just have to share the big bucks with some
other nice, helpful guy.

The only stuff that has been getting past them is a bunch of links to porn
sites someone is sending to my website that automatically forward to me.
Since I am set to text on my (commercially hosted) Mambo 4.5 server the links
don't even work.

One of these days I will have to patch that. There is a setting in Mambo
somewhere, but I have to figure it out. Looks like it is set right, but I
keep getting spam.
--
Regards,

Pete
http://www.pete-theisen.com/
Man-wai Chang
2007-10-01 08:08:31 UTC
Post by Pete Theisen
The only stuff that has been getting past them is a bunch of links to porn
sites someone is sending to my website that automatically forward to me.
Since I am set to text on my (commercially hosted) Mambo 4.5 server the links
don't even work.
Does your ISP offer an option for her customers to adjust the level of
filter? It would be nice (and frankly more responsible) if it's available.
--
@~@ http://changmw.homeip.net
/ v \ May the Force and Farce be with you! Linux 2.6.22.8
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) 16:07:01 up 5 days 18:57
^ ^ 0 users load average: 1.10 1.11 1.09
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk
Pete Theisen
2007-10-01 10:50:09 UTC
Post by Man-wai Chang
Post by Pete Theisen
The only stuff that has been getting past them is a bunch of links to
porn sites someone is sending to my website that automatically forward to
me. Since I am set to text on my (commercially hosted) Mambo 4.5 server
the links don't even work.
Does your ISP offer an option for her customers to adjust the level of
filter? It would be nice (and frankly more responsible) if it's available.
Hi Man-wai!

Hmm, don't know! How's that for an enlightened answer!

I *have* been receiving all the mail I expect to get - the non-spam, so maybe
I am not that unhappy with the anti-spam service, whatever it is.
--
Regards,

Pete
http://www.pete-theisen.com/
Man-wai Chang
2007-10-01 11:52:41 UTC
Post by Pete Theisen
I *have* been receiving all the mail I expect to get - the non-spam, so maybe
I am not that unhappy with the anti-spam service, whatever it is.
NO harm asking for more via your ISP's customer service desks. :)
--
@~@ http://changmw.homeip.net
/ v \ May the Force and Farce be with you! Linux 2.6.22.8
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 7.04) 19:52:01 up 5 days 22:42
^ ^ 0 users load average: 1.14 1.10 1.02
news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk
William Sanders / EFG
2007-10-01 15:53:54 UTC
I do something totally different .

I use LP as my email server, but I've set up the main email box
to be a catch all for things aren't really addressed to either my regular
accounts or a known alias account.

My known alias'd accounts are forwarded over to my regular account.

If I sign up for a site for some subscription, I sign up with an alias'd
account - say something like this for eweek -
***@mysitename.com

Then I set up a forwarder in the Control Panel, anything with
'***@mysitename.com' goes over to my regular email account. Once it's
set, I never have to worry about LOSING an email going to the general box.

If I start to get in spam from eweek, then I know exactly WHO SOLD MY
EMAIL ADDRESS to spammers.

Also, I've set up filters to toss most of the basic words to /dev/null ,
so If you've sent me something that contains that list, It's tossed. I
never see it, I couldn't give you stats on how many were tossed.

Once a week, I have a cron job that deletes the contents of my general
email box, cause I KNOW I didn't sign up for anything coming into the
general email account.

Sure, it's a bit of work. It requires me to preflight email for a while,
studying patterns and setting up filters, as well as setting up forwarders
for the alias'd accounts. It forced me to learn php for setting up a cron
job. My forwarding list is long, but I've grown it over the last 5 years.
My 'auto-toss' list is long as well, but it grew over the same time. But
ya know what ? all of those things were available to me on my LP
webhosting account. I LOVE LP....

[Blatant Plug] You can see some of their stuff over at
http://efgroup.net/efglunar.html

Sure - I still do preflight on my mail account via the web, all the time -
it's not a time waster for me.

On a Lighter Note -
What are you doing receiving all of your email with a client package in
the first place ? BAD FORM, IMO. You should preflight yer email on a web
browser first, MOST hosting companies actually have this built in to the
account you can buy. I NEVER EVER JUST push the send/receive button for my
main account. NEVER.

Regards [Bill]
MB Software Solutions
2007-10-01 22:54:32 UTC
Post by William Sanders / EFG
I do something totally different .
I use LP as my email server, but I've set up the main email box
to be a catch all for things aren't really addressed to either my regular
accounts or a known alias account.
My known alias'd accounts are forwarded over to my regular account.
If I sign up for a site for some subscription, I sign up with an alias'd
account - say something like this for eweek -
Then I set up a forwarder in the Control Panel, anything with
set, I never have to worry about LOSING an email going to the general box.
If I start to get in spam from eweek, then I know exactly WHO SOLD MY
EMAIL ADDRESS to spammers.
I do exactly the same thing.

As for filtering via the web client before downloading to my pc, no
way....my web GUI interface SUCKS and isn't worth it for me.
Paul McNett
2007-10-02 01:10:58 UTC
Post by William Sanders / EFG
I use LP as my email server, but I've set up the main email box
to be a catch all for things aren't really addressed to either my regular
accounts or a known alias account.
LP?

I reject all mail to my domains that don't have usernames/aliases set up
for them. Why should my mailserver process things like
Post by William Sanders / EFG
My known alias'd accounts are forwarded over to my regular account.
If I sign up for a site for some subscription, I sign up with an alias'd
account - say something like this for eweek -
I used to do that, too.
Post by William Sanders / EFG
Then I set up a forwarder in the Control Panel, anything with
set, I never have to worry about LOSING an email going to the general box.
I use other rules, such as list-id for mailing lists (the bulk of my
email) and from.
Post by William Sanders / EFG
If I start to get in spam from eweek, then I know exactly WHO SOLD MY
EMAIL ADDRESS to spammers.
And what will you do about it? A waste of energy IMO.
Post by William Sanders / EFG
Also, I've set up filters to toss most of the basic words to /dev/null ,
so If you've sent me something that contains that list, It's tossed. I
never see it, I couldn't give you stats on how many were tossed.
Sounds risky and unneeded.
Post by William Sanders / EFG
Once a week, I have a cron job that deletes the contents of my general
email box, cause I KNOW I didn't sign up for anything coming into the
general email account.
I get a handful of stuff to my main inbox, instead of various imap
subfolders. These tend to be output messages from jobs running on
various servers. I skim and delete, and my inbox is kept clean. A
handful of spam comes in too, and I mark it Junk for TBird to get smarter.
Post by William Sanders / EFG
Sure, it's a bit of work. It requires me to preflight email for a while,
studying patterns and setting up filters, as well as setting up forwarders
for the alias'd accounts. It forced me to learn php for setting up a cron
job. My forwarding list is long, but I've grown it over the last 5 years.
My 'auto-toss' list is long as well, but it grew over the same time. But
ya know what ? all of those things were available to me on my LP
webhosting account. I LOVE LP....
[Blatant Plug] You can see some of their stuff over at
http://efgroup.net/efglunar.html
Oh, LP = LunarPages. So they are good hosts? I just can't really get my
head around trusting a third-party to actually host my stuff. I like to
be in complete control of my servers. This could be a failing on my part.
Post by William Sanders / EFG
Sure - I still do preflight on my mail account via the web, all the time -
it's not a time waster for me.
I like having SquirrelMail as a fallback for Thunderbird, because
sometimes I find myself behind draconian firewalls that let https://
through but not secure IMAP or secure SMTP, and SM has a nice interface,
however when given a choice I'm not going to read my mail twice, and I'm
going to choose Tbird every time.
Post by William Sanders / EFG
On a Lighter Note -
What are you doing receiving all of your email with a client package in
the first place ? BAD FORM, IMO. You should preflight yer email on a web
browser first, MOST hosting companies actually have this built in to the
account you can buy. I NEVER EVER JUST push the send/receive button for my
main account. NEVER.
I don't understand what "preflighting" gives you. My mailserver rejects
much more mail than it accepts, and I have server rules to place my mail
into a complex hierarchy of imap folders, so that when I use my mail
client to see my mail, it is all organized for me. Are you saying I
should never do that?

And what do you mean you never send email for your main account? How do
you send mail?
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com
Whil Hentzen
2007-10-02 02:55:32 UTC
Post by Paul McNett
Post by William Sanders / EFG
Also, I've set up filters to toss most of the basic words to /dev/null ,
so If you've sent me something that contains that list, It's tossed. I
never see it, I couldn't give you stats on how many were tossed.
Sounds risky and unneeded.
Extremely risky.

I've sent probably a dozen emails to Bill that were never answered.
These emails were specifically asking about commitments that he had made
for two consecutive GLGDW events. He never answered any of those emails
and thus I assumed he was a complete flake.

The next time he asked to do something for GLGDW, I told him to pound
sand (under my breath) and just hit delete. As well as twit-filtered him
because anyone who couldn't bother to respond to multiple emails (and
to multiple addresses) about commitments he made to me didn't seem to
have a lot of value anywhere else as well.

I only saw this exchange because Paul DOES have good stuff to say...

Whil
Desmond Lloyd
2007-10-04 13:51:00 UTC
Can anyone recommend some Bar Code Label Printers that are easy to use with VFP9? Specifically I have some old Datamax Allegro 2 Printers that require a whole lot of coding to output the various labels. It would be great to find an easier method...

Suggestions?

TIA,
Desmond

multipart/alternative
text/html
---
Brian Abbott

Dave Crozier
2007-10-04 14:14:11 UTC
Desmond,
If you want thermal labels at high speed then the Zebra Z4M. Not cheap but
fast and relaiable, but don't use the built in drivers, use the ones from
Seagull.

Simply use as a standard printer from VFP with 4"x3" labels as default. With
the 3 of 9 font installed you can virtually forget about the printer.

Dave Crozier

Post by Desmond Lloyd
Can anyone recommend some Bar Code Label Printers that are easy to use
with VFP9? Specifically I have some old Datamax Allegro 2 Printers that
require a whole lot of coding to output the various labels. It would be
great to find an easier method...
Post by Desmond Lloyd
Suggestions?
TIA,
Desmond
multipart/alternative
text/html
---
[excessive quoting removed by server]
Ross Young
2007-10-04 15:47:26 UTC
We use the Brother QL-500 printer for barcodes using 3 of 9 successfully.
We print directly from a VFP report. The smallest labels Brother offers are
too small for good readability, but all the others are fine.

Ross Young
Young & Mead Consulting, LLC

Post by Desmond Lloyd
Can anyone recommend some Bar Code Label Printers that are easy to use
with VFP9? Specifically I have some old Datamax Allegro 2 Printers that
require a whole lot of coding to output the various labels. It would be
great to find an easier method...
Post by Desmond Lloyd
Suggestions?
TIA,
Desmond
multipart/alternative
text/html
---
[excessive quoting removed by server]
James E Harvey
2007-10-05 11:34:09 UTC
Hi Brian,

I'm interested in seeing how you do this, we may want to implement it here
sometime.

James E Harvey
Hanover Shoe Farms, Inc.
M.I.S./Corresponding Officer
Off: 717-637-8931
fax: 717-637-6766
email: ***@hanoverpa.com

Post by Desmond Lloyd
Can anyone recommend some Bar Code Label Printers that are easy to use
with VFP9? Specifically I have some old Datamax Allegro 2 Printers that
require a whole lot of coding to output the various labels. It would be
great to find an easier method...
Post by Desmond Lloyd
Suggestions?
TIA,
Desmond
multipart/alternative
text/html
---
[excessive quoting removed by server]
Brian Abbott
2007-10-05 11:47:45 UTC
Hi James

I'll bundle some stuff together and upload it over the weekend.
Post by James E Harvey
Hi Brian,
I'm interested in seeing how you do this, we may want to implement it here
sometime.
James E Harvey
--
Cheers

============
Brian Abbott
============
James E Harvey
2007-10-05 13:48:14 UTC
thanks much Brian

James E Harvey
Hanover Shoe Farms, Inc.
M.I.S./Corresponding Officer
Off: 717-637-8931
fax: 717-637-6766
email: ***@hanoverpa.com

Brian Abbott
2007-10-08 07:05:14 UTC
It's in the downloads
Post by James E Harvey
thanks much Brian
James E Harvey
Hanover Shoe Farms, Inc.
M.I.S./Corresponding Officer
Off: 717-637-8931

============
Bill Kressbach
2007-10-08 09:50:32 UTC
Can someone tell me why the following code works on some XP computers but
not on others?

oMessage=Createobject('CDO.Message')
oConfig=Createobject('CDO.Configuration')
With oMessage
.From = '***@adrian.edu'
.To = '***@tc3net.com'
.Subject = "Reboot Notify"
.TextBody = 'Reboot - '+SYS(0)+' '+TTOC(DATETIME())
.SmtpServer = "outgoing.adrian.edu"
.Send()
ENDWITH
Paul McNett
2007-10-08 14:35:21 UTC
Post by Bill Kressbach
Can someone tell me why the following code works on some XP computers but
not on others?
oMessage=Createobject('CDO.Message')
oConfig=Createobject('CDO.Configuration')
With oMessage
.Subject = "Reboot Notify"
.TextBody = 'Reboot - '+SYS(0)+' '+TTOC(DATETIME())
.SmtpServer = "outgoing.adrian.edu"
.Send()
ENDWITH
Well, how about telling us what it does when it fails?
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com
Bill Kressbach

Tracy Pearson
2007-10-08 16:31:56 UTC
It's a configuration of Outlook/Outlook Express on the workstation.
You'll need to configure the configuration object just to be sure.

oConfig.Fields.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusin
g").value = 2

oConfig.Fields.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserv
erport").value = 25

HTH,

Tracy

*----- Bill Kressbach wrote:
Can someone tell me why the following code works on some XP computers but
not on others?

oMessage=Createobject('CDO.Message')
oConfig=Createobject('CDO.Configuration')
With oMessage
.From = 'Wkressbach (at) adrian .DOT edu'
ENDWITH
Bill Kressbach

Bill Kressbach
2007-10-09 15:16:59 UTC
It still doesn't work. Here's the code I used:

.To = '***@comcast.net'
.Subject = "Reboot Notify"
.TextBody = 'Reboot - '+SYS(0)+' '+TTOC(DATETIME())
.Send()
ENDWITH

I have two computers each running XP Pro. Both on the same network. It
works on one but will not work on the other. There are no error messages,
just doesn't send the email. I know that XP doesn't ship with CDO any more
but all the literature I've found indicates that if you install Outlook it
also installs CDO. That's how I got it to work on the first computer but
now that I've installed Outlook on the second computer it doesn't work. The
version of Outlook is 2003. The computer that works may have an earlier
version of Outlook.

Ideas?

Bill
Tracy Pearson
2007-10-09 17:24:18 UTC
Looks like one piece has been forgotten, I apologize I didn't catch it
earlier.

oMessage.Configuration = oConfig
needs to be set before send() is called.

HTH,

Tracy

Bill
Tracy Pearson
2007-10-09 17:53:10 UTC
Oh.. Still missing something
oConfig.Fields.Update() after setting the fields.

Tracy

Bill Kressbach
2007-10-09 19:28:57 UTC
Yes, that last one worked!!! Thanks. I don't know why those commands are
necessary, but as long as it works I guess it doesn't matter. Will this
work on any computer, even if Outlook has not been installed?

Bill
Tracy Pearson
2007-10-09 19:50:02 UTC
It will work as long as the CDO process has not been disabled by a policy
setting.
I don't remember which policy effects this.

Tracy

Bill
David Boatright
2007-10-09 16:17:12 UTC
Bill Kressbach
Post by Bill Kressbach
oMessage=Createobject('CDO.Message')
.oConfig=Createobject('CDO.Configuration')
Post by Bill Kressbach
oConfig.Fields.Item
.("http://schemas.microsoft.com
/cdo/configuration/sendusing<http://schemas.microsoft.com>").value
= 2
Post by Bill Kressbach
version of Outlook is 2003. The computer that works may have an earlier
version of Outlook.
Do not need to define the smpt server as well
oConfig.Fields.Item ("
http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") ="
mail.bellsouth.net"

Do both XP machines have an email account setup ?

multipart/alternative
text/html
---
Sytze de Boer
Bill Kressbach
2007-10-10 10:10:40 UTC
Well I do use Blat with some software but somehow it just bothers me that
you have to drop into DOS to use it. I'm using this software with students
learning radio. It notifies me of a silence detect on the station. Those
DOS screens flashing could cause a student to be even more confused than
they already are.

Bill
Sytze
Peter Cushing
2007-10-10 10:22:43 UTC
Post by Bill Kressbach
Well I do use Blat with some software but somehow it just bothers me that
you have to drop into DOS to use it. I'm using this software with students
learning radio. It notifies me of a silence detect on the station. Those
DOS screens flashing could cause a student to be even more confused than
they already are.
You can use the blat.dll and not get any DOS screens flashing up. I
have been using it for years with no problems. A bit fiddly to get
going but rock solid once you are there.

Peter
Bill Kressbach
2007-10-10 14:43:14 UTC
Now that you mention it I think I did fiddle with blat.dll at one time. I
couldn't get it working but I didn't put much effort into it. I already had
the exe working and I think I got distracted by CDO and never got back to
it. I'll play with it again. I just need something simple that I can drop
into a program. I seem to use it a lot.

Bill
Dave Crozier
2007-10-10 10:53:41 UTC
Bill,
There is a blat DLL which you can simply call from VFP:

***************
* Start of Code
*
lcDll = "blat.dll"
DECLARE INTEGER Send IN (lcDll) STRING blatstring

cTemp_File="c:\attachment.txt"
cFrom=Alltrim("***@anywhere.com")
cMessage="Message From Blat"
cSMTP="192.168.1.3"
cSubject="Message Form BLAT"
cSend_To="***@anywhere.com"

* Format of the Blat string
*!!!'c:\temp\body.txt -t ***@wherever.com -s "e-mail subject" -f '
*!!!+'***@whatever.com -server smtp.wherever.com -attach c:\file.txt'

lcCmd = cTemp_File ;
+' -t '+cSend_To ;
+' -s '+'"'+cSubject +'"';
+' -f '+ cFrom ;
+' -server '+cSMTP

lnResult = Send(lcCmd)

if lnResault<>0
=MessageBox("Email Send Error")
Endif
*
* End of Code
**************

The only warning is that you have to be careful about spacing in the command
line lcCmd as Blat will barf if you get the spacing wrong.

Dave Crozier

Dave Crozier
2007-10-10 12:02:33 UTC
Bill,
Forgot to include the lcDLL assignment as the first line:

lcDll = "blat.dll"

Dave Crozier

Allen
2007-10-10 10:54:12 UTC
Does Blat send and receive ? Also does it work with Vista ? and IMAP ?
Allen

Well I do use Blat with some software but somehow it just bothers me that
you have to drop into DOS to use it. I'm using this software with students
learning radio. It notifies me of a silence detect on the station. Those
DOS screens flashing could cause a student to be even more confused than
they already are.

Bill
Why don't you simplify he entire process and use BLAT Sytze
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
16:43
Dave Crozier
2007-10-10 12:00:19 UTC
Al,
Unfortunately not. Send only I'm afraid. Don't know about Vista, sorry.

Dave Crozier

Paul McNett
2007-10-10 15:22:03 UTC
Post by Allen
Does Blat send and receive ? Also does it work with Vista ? and IMAP ?
Blat is a SMTP client. So, no, it doesn't receive, it doesn't know
anything about IMAP or POP, it simply connects to remote mailservers to
send email messages.

Does anything work with Vista?
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com
David Crooks
2007-10-10 16:02:29 UTC
Post by Paul McNett
connects to remote mailservers to send email messages.
<snipped>

A general question about Blat: Does it do any tracking and what happens
if it cannot connect to the e-mail server? TIA!

David L. Crooks
Peter Cushing
2007-10-10 16:07:32 UTC
Post by David Crooks
A general question about Blat: Does it do any tracking and what happens
if it cannot connect to the e-mail server? TIA!
Not sure what it does as far as tracking but there is a debug mode. If
it does not find the mail server it fails to send the email and your
program has to allow for it. You have various timeout and retry options
that can be set. Here is the blat syntax:

Peter

syntax:
Blat <filename> -to <recipient> [optional switches (see below)]
[-q]
Blat -profile [-delete | "<default>"] [profile1] [profileN] [-q]
Blat -h [-q]

: set's SMTP server, sender, number of tries and port for profile
(<try n times> and <port> may be replaced by '-').

<filename> : file with the message body ('-' for console input, end
with ^Z)
-to <recipient> : recipient list (also -t) (comma separated)
-tf <recipient> : recipient list filename
-subject <subj>: subject line (also -s)
-f <sender> : overrides the default sender address (must be known to
server)
-i <addr> : a 'From:' address, not necessarily known to the SMTP
server.
-cc <recipient>: carbon copy recipient list (also -c) (comma separated)
-cf <file> : cc recipient list filename
-bcc <recipient>: blind carbon copy recipient list (also -bcc) (comma
separated)
-bf <file> : bcc recipient list filename
-organization <organization>: Organization field (also -o and -org)
-body <text> : Message body
-x <X-Header: detail>: Custom 'X-' header. eg: -x "X-INFO: Blat is Great!"
-r : Request return receipt.
-d : Request disposition notification.
-h : displays this help.
-q : supresses *all* output.
-debug : Echoes server communications to screen (disables '-q').
-noh : prevent X-Mailer header from showing homepage of blat
-noh2 : prevent X-Mailer header entirely
-p <profile> : send with SMTP server, user and port defined in <profile>.
-priority <pr> : set message priority 0 for low, 1 for high.
-server <addr> : Specify SMTP server to be used. (optionally, addr:port)
-port <port> : port to be used on the server, defaults to SMTP (25)
-hostname <hst>: select the hostname used to send the message
-mime : MIME Quoted-Printable Content-Transfer-Encoding.
-enriched : Send an enriched text message (Content-Type=text/enriched)
-html : Send an HTML message (Content-Type=text/html)
-uuencode : Send (binary) file UUEncoded
-base64 : Send (binary) file using base64 (binary Mime)
-try <n times> : how many time blat should try to send. from '1' to
'INFINITE'
-attach <file> : attach binary file to message (may be repeated)
-attacht <file>: attach text file to message (may be repeated)
-ti <n> : Set timeout to 'n' seconds.
-u <username> : Username for AUTH LOGIN (use with -pw)
-pw <password> : Password for AUTH LOGIN (use with -u)
-log <filename>: Log everything but usage to <filname>
-plain : Use AUTH PLAIN to login to SMTP server (use with -u -pw)
-charset <cs> : User defined charset. The default is ISO-8859-1

Note that if the '-i' option is used, <sender> is included in 'Reply-to:'
and 'Sender:' fields in the header of the message.

Optionally, the following options can be used instead of the -f and -i

-mailfrom <addr> The RFC 821 MAIL From: statement
-from <addr> The RFC 822 From: statement
-replyto <addr> The RFC 822 Reply-To: statement
-returnpath <addr> The RFC 822 Return-Path: statement
-sender <addr> The RFC 822 Sender: statement

For backward consistency, the -f and -i options have precedence over these
RFC 822 defined options. If both -f and -i options are omitted then the
RFC 821 MAIL FROM statement will be defaulted to use the
installation-defined
default sender address
Paul McNett
2007-10-10 16:43:50 UTC
Post by Paul McNett
connects to remote mailservers to send email messages.
<snipped>
A general question about Blat: Does it do any tracking and what happens
if it cannot connect to the e-mail server? TIA!
It tries to connect and send the mail immediately, and will give you an
appropriate error code. Remember, Blat is simple (which is good): it
only does one thing, initiate a client connection to a smtp server
somewhere, and relay an email. It doesn't store anything locally, and it
won't act like a message queue and keep trying to send failed messages.
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com
Allen
2007-10-10 16:35:08 UTC
So I gather. I downloaded it to see.
As for Vista, well indeed its not good but unfortunately I have a client
with that rubbish so I have to find out. I know windows crypt fails but
craig's vfpencryptioon work fine. So far the only thing I have an issue with
is csmail and thats mainly because the writer has either died or gone deaf.

16:43
MB Software Solutions
2007-10-10 11:29:06 UTC
Post by Bill Kressbach
Well I do use Blat with some software but somehow it just bothers me that
you have to drop into DOS to use it. I'm using this software with students
learning radio. It notifies me of a silence detect on the station. Those
DOS screens flashing could cause a student to be even more confused than
they already are.
Bill
If you use the DLL (and not the EXE), there's no flash of the DOS screen!
Bill Kressbach
2007-10-10 09:58:39 UTC
Yes, both machines have email accounts set up both in Outlook and Outlook
Express. It looks like this line will establish a server for you if you
don't have a default set. Correct?

Bill
Tracy Pearson
2007-10-10 13:20:52 UTC
Yes. I finally found the configuration object in the MSDN library online.

Tracy