Vfp9: Resource file not valid
Ajoy Khaund
2008-07-07 04:19:44 UTC
Hi All,

Since a couple of days I am getting this message when I start Vfp9 Sp1.

Resource file is not valid. Overwrite it with a new empty one. Yes No

Clicking Yes or No continues to give the same error when I start Vfp9. I have vfp6 also. That's okay.

Any help will be good.

Ajoy Khaund
Neamati Road
Near Bhogdoi Bridge
Jorhat 785 001
Assam, India

Tel: 91-376-2351288
Cell: 91-94350-92287
Mail: ***@hotmail.com
Mail: ***@gmail.com

"Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy if
both are frozen."
- Edward V. Berard, "Life-Cycle Approaches"

multipart/alternative
text/html
---
Ajit Abraham
2008-07-07 04:58:54 UTC
Ajoy,
Post by Ajoy Khaund
Resource file is not valid. Overwrite it with a new empty one. Yes No
Delete the foxuser.dbf and foxuser.fpt files, and then start your
application.

_Ajit Abraham

D O T E A S Y - "Join the web hosting revolution!"
http://www.doteasy.com
Ajoy Khaund

[excessive quoting removed by server]
Vince Teachout
2008-07-07 15:11:28 UTC
Post by Ajoy Khaund
Hi All,
Since a couple of days I am getting this message when I start Vfp9 Sp1.
Resource file is not valid. Overwrite it with a new empty one. Yes No
Clicking Yes or No continues to give the same error when I start Vfp9. I have vfp6 also. That's okay.
Any help will be good.
That usually happens when you went from a vfp6 to a vfp9 version - the
resource files have the same name, but are different structures.
The easiest way to fix it is to find and delete the foxuser.* files.
They will be rebuilt.
If that doesn't work, you can check to be sure that the user has file
creation rights.
Also, you can SET RESOURCE OFF in your program startup (check the
syntax! That was off the top of my head)
Finally, you can add RESOURCE = OFF to your config.fpw file.

Good luck.
Gil Hale
2008-07-07 15:22:35 UTC
Good background info, and good tip re: turning resource file off. Thanks.

Gil
Rick Schummer
2008-07-07 19:47:35 UTC
Also, you can SET RESOURCE OFF in your program startup (check the syntax! That was off the top of
my head) Finally, you can add RESOURCE = OFF to your config.fpw file.<<

This behavior might have changed over the releases, but I think you need the RESOURCE = OFF in
Config.FPW to stop the resource file from being created or opened. If the runtimes get started and
there is nothing in the config to stop the FoxUser from being used I think Fox will create it before
executing the first line of your main program.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com
www.swfox.net
www.rickschummer.com
MB Software Solutions General Account
2008-07-07 21:38:51 UTC
Post by Rick Schummer
Also, you can SET RESOURCE OFF in your program startup (check the syntax! That was off the top of
my head) Finally, you can add RESOURCE = OFF to your config.fpw file.<<
This behavior might have changed over the releases, but I think you need the RESOURCE = OFF in
Config.FPW to stop the resource file from being created or opened. If the runtimes get started and
there is nothing in the config to stop the FoxUser from being used I think Fox will create it before
executing the first line of your main program.
According to the VFP9 Help doc, I think it's just RESOURCE OFF (...no
"=" sign).
Rick Schummer
2008-07-08 03:52:41 UTC
According to the VFP9 Help doc, I think it's just RESOURCE OFF (...no "=" sign).<<
Maybe, but I have used RESOURCE = OFF for a very, very long time and it works.

www.rickschummer.com
MB Software Solutions General Account
2008-07-08 14:33:13 UTC
Post by Rick Schummer
According to the VFP9 Help doc, I think it's just RESOURCE OFF (...no "=" sign).<<
Maybe, but I have used RESOURCE = OFF for a very, very long time and it works.
That's good to know, because I always thought it had an equals sign too.
I thought I had used that in some really old projects, so it's nice to
know that I made the right choice way back when. ;-)

Thanks for the confirmation, Rick!